This is but a mockup of where the theme is headed to. We will post pictures of the actual application, once we are done with the other themes. We are testing and tweaking a few things here and there. Enjoy.
Take a look at out first GUI challenge here.
A while back, I heard this word that caught my attention, ” wantrepreneur.” it basically means a person who has a great business idea, but that just can’t seem to make it a reality. I found myself in that boat for over a year. It is not easy to develop an application (a great app) for a modern mobile device. It requires learning design patterns, a computer language, User Interface design, having a descent budget and a descent brain to mix it all together.
It has been a year, since I started working on my first app idea (an RPG game), and since then, the idea has been put to rest for a reason. I realized that the idea was too complex for me to handle on my own, so I changed my idea to a simpler one. Some may see this as a waste of time, but when you think of it, anything that gets you closer to achieving a worthwhile goal, is an investment worth treasuring.
So what have I learned? Here are 5 things that will help those wantrepreneurs out there take a shot at their idea and pushing forward:
1. Put your ideas on paper: Oh paper. Such a beautiful tool for storing ideas. Don’t be afraid to let your mind soar. If you have a great app (or anything really) idea, put it on paper. Doesn’t matter how silly you may think it is. Put it on paper. Draw it out, draw arrows with explanations and instructions, add colour and put it in a safe place! You have no idea how powerful materializing ideas can be, both to the mind and to the body itself. The more you draw, the more you’ll train your hands and your brain to talk to each other in the same language.
2. Let your idea inspire you: you know when you have an idea, a really good idea and you feel like there’s nothing that can stop you from making it a reality? Well, that is what makes a wantrepreneur become a real entrepreneur! When the idea of app development started haunting me at night, I decided I would go to Chapters (bookstore), buy myself a book on iOS programming and purchase a few other books on UI design. Man, I was on fire (and I still am!). Since then, I feel like my days are so short. Like there is not enough hours in the day to read and learn. This is the kind of magic that an idea can work in your soul. Don’t believe me? Give it a try. Today! It will stir up your mind in an incredible way.
3. Find people who love what they do and learn from them: I have been very blessed to be surrounded by some of the most talented people on earth: my best friends, my family and co-workers. During my “purification” journey towards becoming an entrepreneur, I was always looking out for people who were dedicated, honest and thrilled about a specific something in their lives. I found people who were in love with music, animation, writing, sketching, programming, teaching, serving, and more. I became their friend. I shared what made me happy and the story of my journey to becoming an entrepreneur. Some of them found that they were already on the same road, and decided to walk along with me. They shared that same catalyst that caused them to let their minds soar, and oh boy, was that contagious. It inspired me to be better, to do better, to aim higher.
Always surround yourselves with people who will uplift you and inspire the best of you to shine!
4. Do something that you are afraid of doing, at least once a day! Our comfort is so nice and cozy. That is perfectly OK!!! You know, successful people don’t just get “out of their comfort zone.” Man, these people actually nuke their comfort zone, making it bigger than it actually is. These people have come to face their fears everyday. Do you know what a daily dosage of courage does to you? It increases your area of influence (or comfort zone) that much. One of my biggest fears is ignorance. I am sure I am not alone. By design, we are afraid of the unknown, and the worst thing is, we are afraid of finding the answer because we think it’s too complicated. This is one of the biggest enemies of any entrepreneur. To have a great idea and be afraid of materializing it because of ignorance or uncertainty.
Make it a goal to do one thing that makes you afraid, everyday. But it must be a worthwhile goal or else it will feed the wrong side of the force.
5. Don’t quit your day job. Practice, practice, practice. If you are a student or have a job that pays well (or not), take that opportunity to innovate. Make a difference at your job or class. You will learn more about innovation and entrepreneurship by helping and interacting with others, bringing value to the organization you work for. Watch for patterns of success, ask questions to successful people, offer your skills to make them shine. Remember that the more you help others shine, the best you will feel about yourself and your level of confidence and creativity will grow and soar.
Although, there are many more lessons I have learned that have changed my life in these past few years, I promise you that if you focus in these 5 key lessons, you will find an added measure of hope and excitement come to your life.
Take the step towards making your dreams come true! Today! Now!
This is an exciting week for the Zeilk Dev Team and the Zeilk community. We are implementing a few initiatives that will help new developers (and curious people) get more acquinted with our projects, learn the art of app development (devjutsu), and have some fun with us.
We are launching the Zeilk Academy. A place we hope will be of great value to new developers and designers. In the Academy, people will be able to get app development and overall design tips, become part of our weekly GUI challenges, follow our projects and more.
We have also updated our portfolio with a few of our previous team and individual projects. Be sure to check those out.
Thanks for following us!
One of the key elements we will need to learn about, as developers, is the proper use of databases. Databases are used to store user information, settings, etc.
Corona SDK allows us to interact with two very different database frameworks, JSON and SQLite. The Corona team has put together a great article/tutorial about this, be sure to check it out:
Ansca Mobile, the people behind the the Corona SDK, gave us some insight about developing for the new iPad3. As some of you know, the iPad3 (retina) has double the pixel density as the previous iPads. This requires developers to create two different resolution images for their apps. Read below for more information: